A good cargo bike will allow you to carry extra items for work or shopping in an eco-friendly way. Similar to hatchback in the automotive world, cargo bikes can be convenient and fun, but will allow the rider to burn some calories as you aren’t relying heavily on gasoline.
Here’s a selection of cargo bike/trike options:
Cargo Bike Buying Guide
It is difficult to define exactly what a cargo bike is, as each person considers it one thing or another. But in general we could say that cargo bikes are those that allow you to transport quite a lot of things (we’re not talking about the typical small front or rear basket) thanks to their front or rear bags.
They are used a lot for the transport of small packages, food delivery, child…
There are many types of cargo bikes, from front to rear bags, with different types of storage. Electric or pedal bikes, with electric assistance. Or even those with three wheels that allow us to transport a lot of kilos.
Things to consider before buying your cargo bike
If you’re looking to stop using your car so much, but still need to carry a lot of things or even carry your child, cargo bikes can be a great solution for you. In addition, they are an eco-friendly solution for transport in your day to day and the cheapest.
Something we will have to take into account is the amount of cargo we will want to carry or rather, how bulky they are. Since depending on this it will be preferable to buy one or the other.
Besides choosing whether we want it electric or not, it’s recommended using an electric charge bike if transporting large loads through cities with many slopes, otherwise it’ll be tiring and the rider may end up with his/her legs blown off! (or at least with electric assistance)
As far as bike handling and stability, it might be a good option choosing a cargo bike with 3 wheels, as it will be difficult for us to fall when we carry weight. (which can happen quite a lot with two-wheelers)
Types of cargo bikes
there are many types of cargo bikes, here are some of the most popular ones with their pros and cons
- Long Tail Loading Bicycles: Usually used to carry children behind, along with some storage in their saddlebags. They are ridden like a normal bike and are usually quite stable, the only bad thing is that you might not be able to carry too heavy things on them and that their storage space is quite small, plus you may need a big place to keep them.
- Midtail Cargo Bicycle: similar to the long tail ones, these will serve you both to transport children and to carry some weight, being the most versatile as it can be adapted to what you need. The good thing about this bike is that it is not very big, so it will be very easy to store. The only bad thing is that sometimes its rear weight limit is too low.
- Bakfiets: with two or three wheels, these are mainly used to carry large amounts of things (bulky) in front. Sometimes they are also adapted to carry passengers. The only bad thing about these cargo bikes is that they are difficult to handle, as they have little stability when full.
There are many types of cargo bikes, but above all you must take into account the amount of cargo to carry, its engine (electric or not) and if we have the place to store it.
Cargo Bike FAQ
Cargo bikes have been around for quite some time, making appearances as far back as the invention of the camera. But what are cargo bikes, exactly?
What are Cargo Bikes?
In a nutshell, they are a type of bike that helps carry items. Imagine a regular bike with a basket, except the basket is much larger and at least half the size of the bike. The rider controls the vehicle while carrying their loads or goods around. Children can even hop in for a joy ride!
But how much does one bike cost?
Prices vary from brand to brand. It also depends on whether or not you’re getting an electric cargo bike (more on that below.) Reliable bikes start around USD $500, and go as high up as $8,000. This does not include all the accessories and extensions you could purchase for your bike.
The prices are a result of the sustainability and strength needed for your bike. You aren’t just carrying yourself, but everything else on the bike. Meaning you need a bike made of strong materials that can withstand wear and tear from use as a carrier of heavy loads. Factors include: type of metal, number of wheels, container material, and other applicable extensions.
What are some good brands?
For reliable brands, you can’t go wrong with a Tern Bicycle, or a Rad Power Bike. Tern Bicycles are well known for their durable bikes, with easy-fold technology and a 10-year warranty. Rad Power Bikes offer excellent e-bikes for your commutes and load transportation.
Electric or Non-electric?
Speaking of e-bikes, you might be wondering what the difference is between regular cargo bikes and e-bikes.
Put simply, an e-bike has a motor and battery. This means you’ll be able to cover more distance in a shorter amount of time. It makes it easier to carry heavier loads, as the motor will assist in propelling you forward. Keep in mind, though, you will need to charge your bike the more you use it.
E-bikes are especially beneficial if you live somewhere with fluctuating elevations. The extra boost in speed and acceleration will be a helpful aid to you if your riding on a time crunch.
10 Cargo Bike & Trike Selections
Now that we know that a cargo bike can assist you with groceries, transporting kids, delivering items and other errands, let’s get to some options listed below. Regardless of which option you choose, you won’t have to worry about the weight of your cargo since that’s what a cargo bike is made for. It can also serve as your transportation to avoid the need to gas you your car.
RadWagon 4 Electric Cargo Bike
The RadWagon 4 electric cargo bike is an affordable choice for the family. Since it can be used for loading up some cargo or even your kids, that means that you can use it as your everyday vehicle and even as a second car. You can bring it when you have to pick up some groceries and other errands. You can view more info on this electric cargo bike here.
Things to like:
- 750 W geared rear hub motor
- Speed is 32 km/h or 20 mph
- Range 45-72 km or 25-45 my depending on user input
- Battery 48 V 14 Ah or 672 Wh
- Charge time is about 6 hours
- Weight 34.8 kg or 76.7 lb
- Maximum load 159 kg or 350 lb
- The frame is 6061 aluminum
- It has Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes
- It’s tires custom 22″x3.0″ Rad Power Bikes
- Extra features: Sturdy center kickstand, LCD with speedometer, wattmeter, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, trip meter, light status indicator, front and rear LED lights, 5-speed settings, half-twist throttle, USB charging port, mounting for a wide range of front and rear racks/accessories.
Mongoose Envoy Cargo Bike
It’s an affordable yet powerful cargo bike that anyone is willing to have. Mongoose Envoy is a decent choice. It can handle your heavy cargo and even hold it when you have to ride slightly inclined roads. That will be helpful if you have to buy something heavy nearby.
Things to like:
- The frame is made of Aluminum
- It has Fork Steel
- The Crankset Prowheel with 42-, 32-, and 22-tooth rings
- The shifters are Shimano EF500
- The cassette sunrace, 8-speed, 11-34 tooth cogs
- The front derailleur is Shimano FD-TX800
- The rear derailleur is Shimano Altus RD-M310
- The rims are made of Xposure aluminum
- The tires are Xposure 26-inch diameter x 2.35-inches wide
- The pedals are Mongoose nylon flats
- Its brakes are Mongoose mechanical aluminum; Rotor diameter: 180mm (front), 160mm (rear)
- The brake levers are Shimano BR-EF505
- The handlebar is Xposure, aluminum
- The stem is Xposure die-cast quill still
- Its seat is Post Xposure, aluminum
- The saddle is Mongoose MTB comfort steel
- The grips are Xposure Kraton, semi-ergo
- The sizes vary from 5’5” to 5’10” or 5’10” to 6’2”
Burch Electric Fat Tire Tricycle/Trike
The Burch Electric fat tire trike can be used even by those who don’t have the right balance. Since the wheels are wide and it has two of them at the back, it will make it easier to transport almost about anything. It’s perfect transport if you have to buy your groceries as well as shopping for other things.
Things to like:
- It comes with a wide wheelbase
- It has a comfortable suspension seat post and a suspension fork
- It has a big rear basket with a drybag
- Comes with a low step-through frame which is 22″ minimum step-through for 4.5″ wide foot
Yuba Mundo Lux Cargo Bike
The Yuba Mundo Lux is a sturdy cargo bike that you can ride with your kids. It’s like driving a van on two wheels. The brakes are very responsive, and the LED rear lights will keep you safe even if you use it at night. It allows carrying heavy cargo that you may have without compromising the rider’s safety at all times.
Things to like:
- It has a 3×8 Shimano
- Responsive hydraulic disc brakes
- Has the Shimano hub dynamo
- Made with Cro-Mo frame & fork
- Posses Schwalbe Big Ben tires
- Appealing color such as metallic gold or matte olive green
- Comes with WTB rims
- It has fenders with wheel skirts
- Comes with a stand alone double stand
- The LED lights is powered by front dynamo hub
- It has a steering stabilizer
- Comes with the sideloaders cargo or feet support
Tern GSD S10 Electric Bike
The Tern GSD S10 electric cargo bike can already replace your car since it can carry a lot. It will allow you to have two kids plus your cargo in this bike. That means that you can just ride it anywhere you have to go.
Things to like:
- Up to 200 kg or 440 lb maximum gross vehicle weight.
- The Bosch cargo line motor provides up to 85 Nm of torque and 400% support.
- The dual-battery system is at 400/900 Wh for a range of up to 195 km or 121 miles.
- Shimano Deore 1×10 speed hub for smooth and efficient shifting.
- It has an adjustable cockpit comfortably fits riders 150-195 cm or 4’11” to 6’5”.
- Very tough Atlas Lockstand that auto-locks when engaged. Press the button from the handlebars to unlock it.
- It has a heavy-duty frame integrated rear rack and lower decks.
- Comes with a powerful and responsive Magura MT5 eSTOP 4-piston hydraulic disc brakes.
- It has the Always-on RearStop Brake Light that helps you safely signal when you have to stop.
- The Integrated Abus wheel lock is keyed with the battery.
- It has upgraded atlas wheels with custom CNC machined hubs for extra strength and durability.
- Comes with a wide range of cargo and passenger carrying accessories.
- It fits two Thule Yepp Maxi seats with no adapters needed.
NAKTO 26″ 250W Cargo Electric Bicycle
The Nakto Electric cargo bike is an eco-friendly bicycle that you can use everywhere. It allows you to carry your cargo anytime and also ride it to hang out with your friends while saving the environment. It’s the best transportation that you can use to make a difference.
Things to like:
- It comes with a 36V 250W Rear Hub Brushless Motor.
- This has a 36V*10AH lightweight and long-lasting lithium cell battery in a sealed and removable pack.
- With PAS function which means it can save 70% energy as you cycle.
- It has an electric power display.
- Comes with a US standard DC smart charger.
- It has a variable speed control.
- The electric bicycle single charge is at 28 to 35 miles with pedal assist.
- It has a high Quality SHIMANO 6 speed rear gears.
- Comes with an iron frame and aluminum alloy hub.
- It has a front V brake and rear expansion brake.
- Comes with a 5-star fork.
- The maximum speed is up to 25 miles per hour.
- The maximum loading is up to 250 lbs.
Emojo Caddy Pro/Caddy Electric Tricycle
The Emojo Caddy Pro is a very sturdy tricycle to have. It can be the best alternative instead of using your car. Since there’s no need to put gas on it, you can save money and maintenance. This cargo bike can carry your groceries or pet supplies without any hardship.
Things to like:
- It has an aluminum frame that is durable and robust.
- The pedal assist is up to five levels and throttle.
- It can reach the top speed of 20 mph.
- It can travel up to 35 miles on a single charge.
- Comes with hydraulic brakes.
- It has front suspension.
- Comes with seven-speed gearing.
- It has a very comfortable oversized seat with a backrest.
- Comes with an LCD indicator.
- It has both front and rear lights.
Gopowerbike Electric Bicycle
The Gopowerbike electric bicycle is the best choice for touring the city and suburbs. It’s a foldable bike, so you don’t have to worry about carrying it wherever you go. It’s durable and a comfortable electric bike to use to beat the traffic anywhere. You can have fun without limits with this cargo bike that you can fold.
Things to like:
- It has four modes such as the pedal assist, electric, manual, or the walk mode.
- This is foldable with a 6061 aluminum alloy folding frame and comes with the folding pedals for easy storage.
- It has an adjustable seat that adjusts to riders with a height of 5’4″ and taller.
- It has the Shimano 6 speed derailleur, front shock suspension, quick release axle on front wheel, and dual layered seat saddle to ensure a comfortable ride.
- Comes with an LED headlight, front and rear disc brakes, motor safety cutoff, levers will automatically shut off the power to the motor.
- Other bike details: 500W Motor, 48V10ah Lithium Battery, Charge time is 4 hours, 18MPH top speed, weight capacity is up to 265lbs, 20 x 2.125 Chaoyang tires, and 16 ” frame size.
RFA Utility X1
The RFA Utility X1 is the cargo bike that’s best for both recreation and transportation. It can carry heavy cargo like groceries, pet supplies and even another adult. It’s powerful motor can save your energy and you can also pedal through your travels. This bike can last for a long time so you don’t need to buy another bike again.
RFA Utility X1 Features:
- It comes with Bosch PowerPack battery 400wh.
- The Range is between 20 to 40 miles per charge.
- It has a drive unit Bosch performance.
- The maximum pedal assist is 20 mph.
- Comes with the accessories RFA Hooptie, MagicCarpet, RFA Footsies, RFA CargoBays x2, and a CarryHandle.
- Colors available are midnight black, sunrise yellow, and vista blue that are all finished are glossy.
BENNO REMIDEMI E-BIKE
The Benno Remidemi is a cargo bike that is easy to ride like the regular bike but also useful for daily chores. It’s an electric bike that you can ride around and use as a transportation. You don’t have to keep on spending gas anymore with this cargo bike. Since you can carry heavy loads, there’s no need to bring your car out and use this e-bike instead.
Things to like:
- It’s made of 4130 CRMO steel frame with front tray mounts.
- Comes with a European Herrmans front and rear lights.
- It has the Yepp Maxi EasyFit which is child seat compatible.
- It’s Benno front tray compatible so you can install it.
- It can carry up to 110 lbs of cargo with 20 MPH top assisted speed.